La Primavera, or The Spring (season)in English, is a satellite city of the city of Culiacan, planned in full with a long term vision. La Primavera Urban Development.
Its origins have three major events:
ONE: In 1968 the 74th Irrigation District, on the right bank of the San Lorenzo River, was inaugurated, which included the work of the San Lorenzo Canal and La Primavera Dam, as part of the Northwest Hydraulic System (PLINO for its acronym in Spanish) to carry water through canals, by gravity, from the watersheds of southern Sinaloa to the north. There is more water on the south, less suitable soil for irrigation; in contrast, in the north, there is less water and more land.
When a duct had to go through a depression of the land, it was more economical to build a dam, to form a lake serving as a bridge. Thus, many lakes emerged, La Primavera being one amongst them.
TWO: In 1993, under Salinas’ government, the 27th article of the Constitution, which includes the Agrarian Reform Law, was amended, and the communal land holders were given the option of assuming full ownership of their lands, making them private and being able to sell them. That is how a series of seven communities offered their plots and we were able to acquire them; without this change, La Primavera would not exist.
THREE: By chance, we came across two great urban planners: Bill Philips and Michael Doty, who became interested, got to know the place thoroughly and provided us with a brilliant project, which was then awarded, on an international competition, the first place on a regional competition for the Pacific valley.
It is an area of approximately 1977 acres, which surrounds the 667 acres of La Primavera Lake; everything is inside a concrete perimeter wall and is surrounded by fast roads, which allow the people not going to La Primavera to pass by its side.
What does La Primavera consist of ?
- It is an area of approximately 1977 acres, which surrounds the 667 acres of La Primavera Lake; everything is inside a concrete perimeter wall and is surrounded by fast roads, which allow the people not going to La Primavera to pass by its side.
- There is a network of fast routes inside, like a free-way type of road (economic) which allows cars to move without stopping, without traffic lights, from one side to the other, without passing in front of the houses.
- Next come the neighborhoods with built-in fences, a house entrance watchtower, with narrow streets, and curves that prevent high-speed traffic. Each neighborhood has its own construction rules, and in the neighborhood’s best area there is a clubhouse with a swimming pool and sports courts, for the exercise and leisure of condominium owners. Moreover, they also have a small shopping center with their basic necessities.
- Inside there are 26 streams, only two having a small flow of water, the others only when it rains; these were extended, the riverbed was paved, trees were planted and they have a corridor that goes from the lake to the perimeter wall, along with a 10 meter wide zone around the lake, from its shoulder, reserved as common areas, as well as having an asphalt or concrete road. Together, they form a pedestrian road, to be used by foot, bicycle, skateboard, motorcycle, or horse, everything is allowed. This huge network integrates all the neighborhoods and we can go from one to the next without crossing any street.
- The lake itself was modified; 3 million cubic meters of soil were moved so that the lots facing the lake had a slope suitable for boat navigation. At the same time two large inhabited islands and six smaller ones, for birds and trees, were made. All counted, there are 15 kilometers of water front. The main destination points have direct access to the water, and it is possible to navigate on wave runners, power and sail boats, kayak, from one of these destinations to the next. That is how the three networks are integrated: vehicles on land, people and water.
More than 150,000 trees have been planted, watered by drip or pipe irrigation systems, they are all are registered by their three coordinates on the blueprints.
A fundamental part of the project is afforestation, more than 150,000 trees have been planted, watered by drip or pipe irrigation systems, they are all registered by their three coordinates in the blueprints. Side streets have uniform and medium sized trees whereas palm and bigger trees were planted alongside the main roads, streams, lake banks, parks, and clubhouses.
In Culiacan to enjoy the outdoor areas it’s necessary to:
- Be in a safe environment where there are no robberies or kidnappings on days and nights.
- Have pleasant spaces, walkways, sports courts, water…
- Ample shade, ventilation.
- And be accessible by walking from the front of your house.
- Fauna: Since before, many animals inhabited here, and with the large afforestation, now there are a lot more. A Belgian photographer took pictures of 90 different birds and a digital archive exists. Some of those birds were migratory.
There are fish, such as carp, tilapia, catfish, and bass. As well as, iguanas, rabbits, hares, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, toads, deer, wild cats, coyotes, crocodiles, etc.
There are fish, such as carp, tilapia, catfish, and bass. As well as, iguanas, rabbits, hares, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, toads, deer, wild cats, coyotes, crocodiles, etc. People who exercises, walking or riding a bike, can often admire a variety of animals.
- Within the project, industrial areas are planned. Every day, more than 4,000 people go into factories, office and commercial businesses for work., about 8,000 people work here (2016) providing services to the condominium owners so they do not require to go outside. In addition, the corporate offices of the most important companies are located here.
- A golf course, with 9 holes built, was developed on the most suitable terrain, allowing thousands of homes to have the most beautiful green areas on their sight.
- The houses are built to the liking of each family. The first family arrived in 2000, and in 2016 it was inhabited by more than a thousand families. There is a construction and land use regulation that provides certain harmony. There are no outside billboards, most of the houses do not have fences, allowing the enjoyment of the architecture and the houses’ gardens.
- We have two schools of the highest level covering from kindergarten to high school, many children and youngsters go on foot, on bicycle or motorcycle, to their classes, and there is an environment that promotes the great human values, sports and family coexistence.
- Lots and house sales are not promoted by mass media, they are realized only through invitation and new people are accepted by a committee. Growth is little by little.
Why does La Primavera exist?
We can say that everybody’s dream is to live in a safe and pleasant environment, with all the correct services, in a great freedom and harmony between neighbors, with the city of Culiacan and nature.
While modern cities are prone to acts of violence, robberies, kidnappings, traffic problems, pollution, etc., La Primavera provides an alternative that solves most of the problems of the cities. It is likely, that with the passage of time, today’s cities will have more problems and that over time, each year that passes, La Primavera is made into a better place to live. The difference will increase. Little can be seen of the positive effect that this physical environment can have on the future of the families that live here, but we might be surprised. Only time will tell.
1. Services built by La Primavera and that the condominium owners maintain and operate:
- Potable water
- Water for irrigation and a sprinkler system that operates every night.
- Sewage – Water treatment subcontracted to the city.
- Electricity–All underground transformers.
- Telephony of the highest quality.
- Natural gas network.
- Peripheral electrical circuit with services and alarms.
- 4 meters concrete perimeter walls and 2 meter high fences around each neighborhood.
- 24 hours surveillance, video cameras, sensors.
- Very efficient rainwater sewage.
- A clubhouse in every neighborhood.
- Gardens and sports courts, green areas, maintained by the condominium.
- Night illumination,among others.
2. It turns out that living in La Primavera also have these benefits:
- 2 degrees cooler temperature. We use the air conditioner 2 months less in the year.
- Saving on electricity and water. The gardens are watered with non-potable water.
- Saving on sports club fees.
- Savings in reduction of vehicular theft (it does not happen), of houses (it happens but only in a few cases).
- A house,for most families, is the principal asset and the normal thing in the city is that, in time, it loses its value, this does not happen in La Primavera, because of the respect to the use of the land norm.
- Everyone makes life more outdoors; healthier, better quality of life.
Text: Enrique Coppel Luken
Virtual Reality (VR)
Virtual reality images for virtual reality glasses viewing in mobile devices
There are no limits to see the world: live the experience by yourself in virtual reality !
Join us !
How this virtual tour was made
The equipment used to make this virtual tour is the following:
- DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter
- Phantom 3 4K Camera
- 3 - Axis Gimbal
- Nikon D800 Camera
- Sigma 8 mm fisheye lens
- Nodal Ninja Ball Joint NN4
- Manfrotto Tripod 190
- Remote trigger
The processing software of this image was:
- Lightroom to process RAW files
- PTGui to perform the stitching of the image
- Photoshop for general and local adjustments
- PanoTour Pro for the virtual tour generation
Would you like to use this virtual tour in your website?
Good news! Yes, you can use without asking for permission. Our site is licensed under "Creative Commons – Acknowledgement 4.0 International", This type of license allows you:
- To Share- copy, distribute, execute and use the artwork publicly.
- To Make derivative works.
- To Use the artwork for commercial purposes.
This means that you must assign the credits of the work in the following way:
"La Primavera en Culiacán, Sinaloa, Fotografía (cc): Miguel Angel Victoria"
You need to copy the following code and paste the link in your website:
La Primavera en Culiacán, Sinaloa by Miguel Angel Victoria is licensed under Licencia Creative Commons Reconocimiento 4.0 Internacional . Created from the artwork retrieved from https://s3.amazonaws.com/sinaloa360/la-primavera-aerea/index.html. You can find more permissions under this license in https://viejo.sinaloa360.com
Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa
Traducción al idioma inglés realizada por la Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa a través del Centro de Estudio de Idiomas Culiacán. English language translation made by Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa through the collaboration of Centro de Estudio de Idiomas Culiacán